Brussels sprouts are packed with loads of fibre and vitamin C, making them an excellent choice for this reinvigorated take on the classic Caesar salad. With a homemade dressing and freshly baked croutons, you really can’t go wrong with this as either a side salad or main course with the addition of protein.
- For the Dressing
- 3 oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ tbsp capers
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¾ tsp of Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- For the salad:
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 small sourdough boule
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Parmesan for flaking
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Serves: 2
Prepared by Alyssa Madaire,
Springbank Cheese’s Culinary Specialist,
Buy Parmesan or great alternatives here…
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the anchovies, the garlic clove, and the capers onto a cutting board in a small mound. With a large knife, mash and chop until well combined, then continue to work the mixture, holding the knife blade at an angle until smooth paste forms. Set aside
- Mix the egg yolk, lemon juice, and mustard in a medium bowl.
- Starting one drop at a time, whisk the olive oil into the egg mixture. Start very slowly, adding more oil only when the previous addition is fully incorporated.
- Once all the oil emulsifies with the egg mixture, stir in the anchovy paste and grated parmesan. Set aside.
- Using your hands, tear bite-sized pieces of sourdough from the boule and place them into a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread out evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet; bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
- While the croutons toast, slice the Brussels sprouts thinly using a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Toss the cut brussels sprouts with the prepared dressing, and season as necessary. Divide the salad onto two plates, then garnish the salad with the croutons and flaked parmesan. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
- Serves: 4