Savoury scones are just as delicious as their sweet counterparts, and these are no exception! The key to a perfect scone is making sure the ingredients stay as cold as possible, for as long as possible. This gives you a flakier scone that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and spices.
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the frozen butter. Incorporate the butter into the flour using your hands until a crumbly mixture forms, making sure to work quickly.
- Add the cheese and green onions, tossing well to combine.
- Mix the eggs, sour cream, and mustard in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened. The dough will be sticky.
- Liberally flour your countertop and hands, then pat the dough into a 10” by 2” rectangle.
- Cut the rectangle into five pieces with a sharp knife or bench scraper, then cut each square in half diagonally to make ten triangular scones.
- Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake the chilled scones for 20-23 minutes until nicely browned.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 10 scones