Wow your barbecue guests this summer with the ultimate burgers! Smoky burgers, blue cheese, whiskey caramelized onions and spicy arugula will have your mouth watering and your burgers being the talk of the block this barbecue season
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Divide the sliced bacon into 2, and chop ¼ lb into small pieces. Set aside to mix with the beef later. Cook the other ¼ lb using your preferred method until crispy. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, add the butter, two sprigs of thyme and sliced onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften and brown, about 15 minutes. Carefully pour the whiskey into the pan to deglaze; with a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any caramelized bits. Allow the liquid to evaporate and then remove it from the heat. Set aside.
- Gently mix the ground beef and chopped bacon from step 1 in a bowl, then form the mixture into four even patties. Season the patties liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook the patties on the preheated grill, flipping after 4 minutes. Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, about 5-7 minutes more.
- When the burgers are 1-2 minutes away from being done, add 30g of blue cheese to each patty. Lightly toast the pretzel buns on a cool side of the grill.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading the red pepper jelly on both buns, adding arugula, the patty, and the whiskey caramelized onions.
- Serves: 4