These spinach puffs are an excellent appetizer that will wow guests and can be prepared ahead of time. Make the spinach mixture the day before, then roll out your pastry and bake them just before your guests arrive. These spinach puffs are a breeze to make- the hardest part is eating just one!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add the oil and diced onion to a large pan over medium heat. Cook until the onions soften and turn translucent- about 4 minutes.
- To the pan, add the chopped spinach and minced garlic. Stirring frequently, allow the mixture to cook until the spinach has wilted and most moisture is evaporated- about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture is cool, roll out the puff pastry sheet into a 12-inch by 16-inch rectangle on top of a lightly floured surface. Cut twelve 4-inch squares, and then place a square into each muffin cup, pressing into the bottom and up the sides leaving the corners pointing up.
- Prepare an egg wash by cracking 1 egg into a bowl and whisking a tablespoon of water until well combined. Set aside.
- To the spinach, add the lemon zest, feta, parmesan, one egg, and spices to the bowl and mix well.
- Divide the filling evenly between the muffin tins, then fold over the corners so each point meets in the center. Lightly brush the egg wash from step 5 over the tops of the puffs, then cook until golden brown and puffy, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the puffs to cool for 10 minutes before running a sharp paring knife around the outside to loosen them from the muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack until you are ready to serve.
Makes: 12 Cheesy Spinach puffs